Monday, October 18, 2010

It will never be the same… but this is what I got

I don’t try to make people understand anymore, because as a friend or relative you want to tell me there is hope. I just smile and agree when people don’t know the truth and tell me “someday” or “wait till it is your turn”. And when I can not relate to what you are going through because I am not part of the super secret and totally exculisive club, I am learning to smile just empathise with you.

I am not going to try to say that I understand what it like to be a mom or that having a dog, now dogs is even remotely close to the real thing. But this is what I have filling the void, so yeah, this is what I got. Sorry if you don’t understand it, it’s a dog thing I guess.

When we got Cody I knew, from the minute we brought him home, that everyone was right. A puppy is a lot of work. A brand new puppy gets up every couple of hours, cries, howls, and cries more. A brand new pup wakes up earlier then everyone else and has to pee and pee again and again. They have to learn how to walk on a leash. A brand new pup gets into things and you have to watch everything. The trash, cords, the trash, sheets, the trash, corners that are hidden, boxes, the trash, empty bottles oh and of course the trash. You have to leave work to let a brand new puppy out, you feel horrible as they cry when you leave again, and you get home early just to be able to play. Cody was work, and yes, things have been eaten, ripped apart, broken and chewed on. And if you are really lucky, you will have taught them to sit, stay, lay down, come, go, paw, speak (nick hates that one) and maybe even roll over.








Cody filled a void that I needed filled. Yet somehow, maybe with all the new babies and talk of babies, and first birthdays and so on. The void started to creep back in and settle in. And the constant reminder of what would never been just started to take over again.


So I told Nick, I have a void, I need it filled, if Cody was a child and he was one… I would be trying again. He said no. I said that the longer we waited the more time Cody would be the only pup and not take kindly to another pup. He said no. I said, like it or not, with or without you I will be getting another dog!!!! He started looking too.

Yesterday at about noon, Nick called me at work and said look at your phone and tell me if I should bring her home. I was excited and stressed and worried. I am not scared of any dogs at all. I LOVE big dogs. I love large breeds, and do not believe that dogs just become aggressive. I believe they are made to be or not.



He fell in love with her first. He said he was bringing her home. And he did. And she sniffed, and quickly walked around and under and over everything she could. Cody wasn’t sure that she was so cool in his house. She was cool at aunties house and fun to play with and sniff, but not in his house. He let her know. And at 10:30 after many times of “Cody-NO” “Pebbles-NO!” and seeing who is a mama’s boy at its best and a daddy’s girl already….. We attempted bed. The first hour did not go smoothly. At 11:30 Nick and I were in separate rooms, in separate beds, with a dog each.



Now this is not the behavior I will continue to allow…. But for the first night, mamas baby girl was sad to alone on the floor and Cody wanted the spot on the bed. Pebbles needed to be loved and Cody was jealous. So, mama and pebbles cuddled in a bed and daddy took a whole bed to himself. (Cody was fine with his bed once Pebbles wasn’t in our bed)


And yes, I fell in love. She has never slept alone a day in her life, so this will take work. She has always lived with multiple dogs, so one other and extra attention she will love, and at the end of the day… all this big baby wants is her daddy.




This may not be the life that I thought I would have. Nor did I ever think that dogs would kinda fill the spot just enough to be happy with this life. But this is my family>>> these are my babies. And yeah, I like what I got. So no, I will never take pictures of my pups at disney for the first time. And no, they wont get new adorable clothes for the first day of school. But they will sit when I ask, lay when they want to cuddle, kiss when so excited to see me, and speak when they need to show me or tell me something… hey.. At least I’m not a crazy cat lady!


No comments:

Post a Comment