Monday, June 13, 2011

I need an extra day in the week

I am feeling a little bummed out today. Mostly because I feel like I let Nick down. I know that I really didn’t, but I can shake feeling like this.
He and I have been dating for two years. Our schedules are basically the same week to week. I hate it. I hate the there are not enough hours in a day, days in a week and weeks in a month to get everything I need done and see people I would like to see more then just special occasions.
Monday through Fridays we work. And no, I am not hourly and yes I get paid pretty good money. I do not work a 9-5. Some days I wish I did so that I could just clock out and be done. But I cant. Some days, I leave early when I have done it all. And that is nice. (and I never tell anyone because I enjoy the alone time) Friday nights we pick up Brett and attempt family time somewhere in a 48 hour window. Because that is all we get. And in that 48 hour window I still need to grocery shop, do dishes and laundry, vacuum, dust, take a photo shoot or two and somewhere in there sleep. Needles to say there is rarely spare time.
I find myself pushing myself to stay up late on week days just to try to see a friend, maybe two, at night, without Nick (because someone has to let the dogs out for a few hours after a 10 hour crate day) Only to be sleeping on the car ride home and at my desk the next morning. It sucks. And yes, I have amazing friends who wait, patiently for me to have an hour, maybe two or (what I hate most) not being part of family time at all just, so that I can see the people I love.
So, where did I let him down….. Oh… that would be that he doesn’t know my friends. I knows of them, he has met a few, but he does not know them. He comes with me to birthdays, get togethers, family events and knows… no one. So, he sits, alone, making convo to people who know who he is and say hi.
Not once in two years has he said a peep about this, until this weekend. When I took him with me to a birthday party, full of faces I have been excited to see. And he sat. He watched me get up, talk to people, and not once did I say come with me. Not once did I include him in any of what I was doing. I left him. As I always do. And he sat. Making small talk with anyone who talked to him, said hi to him or clearly saw him alone and felt bad for him.
And when the conversation arose this weekend. I got defensive. (because I was embarrassed, upset, mad at myself for not seeing this and for the lack of time we both have to change this) So I got mad. I asked when we are supposed to hangout with my friends when the two days a week we can do something we are doing family stuff I asked “you want Brett to start being dragged to people’s houses?” “you want to see your son less?” “you want me to invite people over for dinner when we don’t get home till late?” I asked them all. All the questions that someone could ask trying to find a time.
And he didn’t have an answer. Probably because he was pissed that I attacked instead of listened. Or because he was trying to say just don’t leave me alone at an empty table. Or asking me to just include him so that he could get to know these people more and be able to talk to someone…. Anyone.
After two years of being my sidekick, I realized I let my sidekick down. And it sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment