Thursday, May 12, 2011

Lucky to have her


I have somewhat gone back and forth on posting this blog. Not because I did not want to, more because I wasn’t sure that people would understand. I have wrote in the past about how being a “step parent” sucks. Because many times, it does. And though my title is not officially official, I am one. I help to raise and teenager. I did not get any practice doing this, I did not raise this child from birth so I do not know all his likes and dislikes which again, makes my life… difficult. Not to mention those likes and dislikes, as with any child, change… all the time.
But that is not what I am writing this.
I am very lucky. I am very lucky because I am a child that has a step-parent. A step mother to be exact. Thankfully she is always there for me to vent to, about being a step-parent. Its not that other people don’t understand, its that she knows. She knows that battles, she knows the struggles, she knows what it is like to not be The Mom!
If you know me, then you also know that my relationship with my mother is…… strained. There are times that I know why, and I just move on from it, but there are times I just don’t understand. A girl needs her mother. She needs that person she can call and ask question to, get recipes from, learn the secrets to cleaning something, and share the ups and downs of life to. And with my mother, I have tried, and we just don’t have that.
Over the past few years, the bond I have with my step-mother has grown. A LOT. And for the past few years, I have made sure that I don’t forget the mother’s day card for her. (yes they make step-mother mothers day card) and I always call to say it all well. Because in reality, she has been there, listened to be cry and share in my happiness, kept secrets, laughed with me and just been a great pillar of support in my life. I always tell her how lucky I am to have her and what her being in my life means to me. I am lucky that I have her, and I am grateful she treats me like I am her daughter, not just her step daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment